We have almost completed work on moving the Code Editor from Code Mirror to Monaco, the same editor that powers the ever popular, Visual Studio Code.
With this upgrade, it will give developers:
- Much better performance, especially with large text files
- More editing functionality through the command palette
- Mouse driven features such as Cmd/Ctrl + Click to jump to definition, hover for documentation and a context menu!
There will be some small differences which will include:
- Syntax color changes as we’ve opted to use Monaco’s default theme, which should be comfortably familiar to VS Code users
- Some hotkeys/shortcuts will be different (e.g moving a line up/down)
When can we use it?
We are still working through a few issues but planning to release the Editor as early as next week. Keep your eyes peeled!